Cary S. Idler, M.D., PLLC
A native of the garden state, Dr. Idler graduated from Seton Hall University and attended New Jersey Medical School. Following medical school Dr. Idler traded the east coast for the west to complete his residency training at the San Francisco Orthopaedic Residency Program. He was subsequently accepted to a prestigious fellowship for Spinal Surgery in Oakland, CA where he was presented the invaluable opportunity to train under some of the finest orthopaedic and spine surgeons in the world.
Dr. Idler is a Board Certified Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon with training in a variety of surgical procedures including minimally invasive and structure sparing techniques, cervical and lumbar disc replacements, lateral approaches and percutaneous techniques that significantly reduce tissue damage during surgery. We are proud to have his excellent spine surgical skills on our team as a valuable addition to our orthopaedic services.
Of his practice philosophy, Dr. Idler writes:
“I strive to empower patients. To do this, I carefully evaluate their spine pain or problem, using X-rays or MRIs as needed, clearly explain it to them, and discuss their alternatives to spine surgery. I view healthcare as a close, working partnership between the patient and the physician. My job is to educate, inform, and encourage the patient that s/he may make the best decision for her/himself. My goal is to maximize and improve the quality of life for my patients while minimizing the risks that are inherent in the spine treatment. The “correct” decision will be deeply personal; it will be a reflection of the patient’s disability, disease process, overall health, and tolerance for risk. My goal is to provide each patient with superior personal care, where the patient is actively involved in the decision process about their spinal pathology.”
Education and Training
- Undergraduate School: Seton Hall University
- Graduate Education: UMDNJ – Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- Medical School: New Jersey Medical School
- Internship: San Francisco Orthopaedic Residency Program
- Residency: San Francisco Orthopaedic Residency Program
- Fellowship: Kaiser Permanente – Regional Spine Center Oakland, CA
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Specialty Certification in Spinal Surgery
- Special Interests: Cervical and lumbar spinal surgery
- Specialty Procedure: Minimally invasive spine surgery, disc replacements, spinal cord stimulators, and many others.
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Diplomat, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, North American Spine Society
- Member, North Carolina Spine Society
- Member, North Carolina Medical Society
- Published article, Minimally Invasive Surgery of the Spine: Less Is More
- Published article, Percutaneous Lumbar Pedicle Screw Placement Aided by Computer-Assisted Fluoroscopy-Based
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
At The Bone and Joint Surgery Clinic, we’re proud to provide the highest quality orthopaedic & spinal care and diagnostic services to patients from Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Garner, Apex, Morrisville, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina and the surrounding areas. Schedule an appointment today!